Where we refer to the company in this policy, we will use the company trading name York Mediale.
York Media Arts Festival Community Interest Company is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
York Media Arts Festival Community Interest Company may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
This policy was last reviewed in July 2019.
Who we are
York Media Arts Festival Community Interest Company
Trading Name: York Mediale
Swinegate Court East
Company registration no. 10876832 England & Wales
How we collect information
We obtain information about you when you use our website (for example, when you book a ticket, or if you register for one of our newsletters and if you complete any online form) and if you apply to take part in or register to take part in an event or project or apply to an opportunity of vacancy either digitally or by completing a form in person.
What information we collect
We collect the minimum amount of data necessary to fulfil the stated purpose on collecting the information from you. The personal information that we may collect from you might include:
- name and job title
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode
- your preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
- information relating to your health (for example, if you are volunteering with us)
- information about what pages you have accessed on our website
- Special Category Data, which includes age, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation
People we collect information from
We need to collect and use your personal data if you come into contact with York Mediale and our work for any reason, including if you are a:
- ticket buyer or participant in an unticketed York Mediale event
- volunteer or prospective volunteer
- employee or prospective employee of York Mediale
- supplier or prospective supplier to York Mediale
- Journalist, member of the media or someone who publishes or broadcasts to the public
- MP, other parliamentarian or representative including councillors
- person within the media arts community or the technology community who works with us. This can include venues, funders, educational establishments, businesses, voluntary or arts organisations and artists.
What we do with this information
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may use it to contact you with the information you have specified you are interested in.
- We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- Carry out our obligations with you in respect of a contract entered into by you and us.
- Ensure we know how you prefer to be contacted.
Reporting to funders
We use our audiences’ and participants’ anonymised details to show some of our funders how and where we’re using their money, and what kind of people are benefiting from our work. For example, a key funder such as the Arts Council England may ask us to report on our activities, including postcode and demographic data about participants and audiences.
We also provide anonymised data about our audiences to Audience Finder, the national audience data and development programme developed and managed by The Audience Agency and funded by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
Other reasons we might use your data
- To keep registers of participants in events and allocate tickets to audience members.
- To mail people with information about their expressed interests.
- To process applications for jobs, volunteering opportunities or participatory events.
- To ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of participants in York Mediale activities.
We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations (for example purchase history). We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity.
If you ask for your personal information to be deleted we will manage your request in a transparent way in line with our data retention policy.
Who has access to your information?
York Mediale takes your privacy very seriously and safeguarding processes are in place to protect your personal data. Access to personal data is restricted. Only staff members needing access to perform their responsibilities will have access (for example, if an event is cancelled, the Event Manager or Co-ordinator will need access to attendees’ phone numbers).
Special Category Data
Access to sensitive data is restricted. Sensitive data collected for the purposes of reporting to funders is only accessible to the people who have to see and use that information.
We treat all special category date in line with the ICO’s guide to data protection. You can find out more about this here – ico.org.uk
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
Links to other websites
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
You are entitled to:
- request copies of, and / or access your personal information
- request that your personal information be corrected where inaccurate or incomplete
- request changes to the way we use your personal data or request for it to be deleted
- unsubscribe from any direct marketing communications that you have previously opted into
You have a choice about whether or not you want to receive information from us.
Your contact details will be entered into the Mailchimp App, which has strict privacy and data sharing policies of its own. Please find their policy here.
If we are at any time contacting you with regard to information you do not want to receive, please contact us and we will remove you from our contact list or change your mailing preferences accordingly: email@example.com or call 07495 999549.
Keeping you up to date
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible at the below address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Request your personal information
You have the right to request access to a copy of the personal information that we hold about you, along with information on what personal information we use, why we use it, who we share it with, how long we keep it for and whether it has been used for any automated decision making. You can make a request for access free of charge. Please make all requests for access in writing, and provide us with evidence of your identity.
If you would like a copy of the information held on you please contact Rachael Drew, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a request to:
York Mediale c/o Plump
Swinegate Court East
This website uses things called “Cookies” to ensure your experience of the site, and our ability to improve it, is enhanced.
These are small bits of information sent to your computer and stored on your hard drive. They allow the website to recognise you when you visit but do not identify you as an individual. They collect statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns to help us to deliver a better service. Cookies can be switched off by changing your browser preferences within your settings.
Switching off cookies can result in losing functionality on websites.
The list below describes the cookies we use on this site and what we use them for.
Currently we operate an ‘implied consent’ policy which means that we assume you are happy with this usage:
First Party Cookies
These are cookies that are set by this website.
You can find out more about Google Analytics Cookies here: google.com
WordPress: Our website runs the popular WordPress CMS and cookies are used to store basic data on your interactions with WordPress, and whether you have logged into WordPress.
Read more about WordPress cookies here – wordpress.org
Third Party Cookies
Our website includes hyperlinks to third party websites. We have no control or responsibility over the privacy policies and practices of third parties.
Social Media Sharing and Integration
We use Facebook and Twitter functionality within this site so that you can share items of interest, or follow us on social media. You can find out more about Facebook’s Cookie use here: facebook.com and Twitter’s here: twitter.com